Tuesday, March 2, 2010

If only I had as many shoes as I do OT supplies...

I have spent a small fortune on OT supplies. We have a net swing in our basement. We own therapeutic listening CDs and high frequency headphones. We have a weighted lap pad. We have chewy pencil toppers, resistance bands, a mini trampoline...I could go on and on.

I'm not complaining, really. They do all serve a purpose, and help to make Andy feel more organized. I just sometimes look at all of the items around the house and realize, "Man, we're REALLY invested in this!" We are surrounded by it, immersed in it.

I feel blessed that we have the means to do whatever is necessary for Andy. We can send him to private OT. We can buy the swing and the trampoline and whatever else he needs. I feel blessed that we can afford for me to only work part time so if Andy has a meltdown because he forgot his library book, I'm available to take it to him.

But looking around at all of these things just reminds me that we are in this for the long haul. It's not going to go away. The "tools" may change as he grows, but there will always be something. SPD will be a constant challenge in our lives, but I'm strong enough to handle it. I'll keep fighting, researching, learning, and I'll buy every last OT supply known to man if I have to.

So if that means I walk past that great pair of shoes that I really, really want, that's ok with me. Andy is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment