Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Today was a good day...

Well, it wasn't a good day for Andy. He's sick. Again. That's apparently what happens when he constantly puts everything in his mouth. He gets exposed to germs. Lots of them.

My morning was crazy and chaotic between the fever and the complaints of not feeling well and the trip to the doctor's office.

But alas, the day turned out well. Tonight was the second night of my SPD Support Group. Man, is it refreshing to be with other parents who know what I'm going through.

Even better than that, I got to see a family have their "AaaaHaaaa" moment. That moment where it all finally makes sense. That moment when there is a name to put to what they've been experiencing for months and months. Boy did it feel good to help them get there.

I've said from the beginning that I'm making it my mission to educate the world about SPD. I am not trying to convince people their children have SPD. I'm just trying to prevent people from going through what I went through...years of me knowing something wasn't normal, and years of me being constantly told by people that it was fine...that he was just a boy...that he just needed this or needed that or I needed to try this or try that. I was convinced 15 different times by 15 different people that everything was ok...and that this is just who he was...and that he was just quirky...or he would grow out of it.

So, when I see people dealing with blatant SPD issues, who have no idea, or who are in complete denial, it kills me. I want to shake them by the shoulders and say, "Trust me. Don't be scared. It will be ok. Early intervention is key."

I would give ANYTHING to turn back time 3 or 4 years to have someone, ANYONE, care enough to grab me by the shoulders and educate me.

So, yes, it was definitely a good day!

1 comment:

  1. You have an amazing mission. One that I hope will help many people.

    ReplyDelete