Friday, March 12, 2010

Today marks the beginning of another year...

My dear sweet Andy is 7 today. My, oh my, have the years flown by.

I can remember that first day he was born. I couldn't believe how wide awake he was and wondered why he wouldn't sleep. That should have been my first clue that it was going to be a rough and trying time.

Then the reflux and chronic ear infections started.

That first year was exhausting. I can remember sitting up at night with him lying on my chest just begging God to let him sleep...for even 15 minutes.

Then things settled down and things got better. He was such a sweet, smart boy. Then the food issues started. And then things got worse again.

Man, it's been a long seven years. But I am grateful for every second. I can't imagine my life without him. I'm thankful for the lessons he has taught me.

I've learned that it's possible to love someone so much it hurts. I've learned that patience is a virtue. I've learned that even the hardest day will end when the sun sets and the sun will rise again in the morning. I've learned that I will fight to my death to protect my son.

But most of all, I have learned that Sensory Processing Disorder exists. And I've made it my mission to make sure everyone else learns about it as well.

I truly believe that God sent Andy to me for a reason. He sent him to me because there were things I needed to learn, and he knew I was strong enough to handle it.

Happy Birthday, my dear sweet boy. I love you with all of my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Andy...and you too mama. I think that birthdays are just as much the mama's who got the kids there as it is the kids!See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete