Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I Dig Other Parents who "Get it"!!!

I had a terrific night out tonight. No, I wasn't on a date with my husband (though we do need to have a date night soon). It was even better than date night. I got to sit in a room with 10+ other parents who also have kids with SPD. It was like heaven.

Those of you without SPD children probably wouldn't understand, but it was so fun to be able to laugh with someone about a kid throwing up on his plate at dinner. Or the girl who refuses to have her hair washed. Or the boy who will only eat baby food.

We all stood up and told our SPD stories, and giggled and laughed as everyone else told theirs. Not because the stories are funny, but because we've been there. I mean, is there really anything funny about a child who wants to be so in your face that they think it's ok run full speed and jump on your back when you aren't expecting it? Or anything funny about a kid smelling a food and immediately gagging or throwing up on their plate? Or anything funny about a child covering his ears and cowering when a sound is too loud? Not really. But it is nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with SPD issues.

And let's face it...humor is the only way to survive this.

No comments:

Post a Comment