Monday, June 14, 2010

Andy and his "hesitation"

This morning Andy was swinging in our net swing like he does every morning. Sometimes we talk, sometimes he has a million questions, sometimes he's very quiet.

Today we talked a bit, then he got very quiet and closed his eyes. After a few minutes, I whispered, "Are you sleeping?"

"No, Mom, I'm just hesitating," he said.

"What?" I asked.

"I'm hesitating. If I close my eyes and relax I can feel the blood flow through my fingers. It feels cool," he said.

"What do you mean when you say hesitating?" I asked.

"You know...hesitating! Like when you cross your legs, put your hands in your lap and close your eyes," he replied.

Now I understood! "You mean MEDITATING?" I said.

"Oh, yeah. That's what I meant. I thought it was called hesitating. It's cool though because it makes me relax and I can feel my blood pumping through my body," he answered.

It's truly amazing the things that he can feel that I don't. Just like he smells things that I don't smell, and hears things that I don't hear.

I guess some things about SPD aren't quite so bad.

3 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! My husband says he can feel his blood flowing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty amazing, isn't it? The things my son can sense that no one else can always surprise me. It's good to remember that SPD can sometimes be a good thing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Eli has started meditating too - it's amazing how they learn to cope on their own! and it's sooooo cute to watch:)

    ReplyDelete